How we promote the British Values and provide Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural Guidance to students
How we enable students to develop self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence
- This theme runs throughout Personal Development/Super learning days, in particular days which focus on relationships (Y7, Y8, Y9) and Careers (Y8, 9, 10, 11). Work experience is a good example.
- STREET curriculum develops independent learning, reflective practice.
- Very strong Arts links including emphasis on drama and performance.
How we enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law
- Y7 citizenship day – importance of laws in maintaining a community
- Y8 Prison Me? No Way! Day – presentations and activities to develop understanding of laws and consequences
- Y8/9/10 health days – look at legal aspects e.g. illegal drugs, consequences, discussion of common values
- Y10 Crime day – mock trial, discussion of sentencing – support from visiting magistrates.
- History Trip to Galleries of Justice.
How we encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, contribute positively to society
- STREET – work on charity fundraising, identifying needs in the wider community
- Wide range of anti-bullying initiatives
- Work experience including alternative work experience.
- Year group councils
- Peer Mentoring and Peer Reading. An Ambassador Scheme and Head Boy and Head Girl.
- Extensive charity work including raising 14k for a trip to Namibia by a group of students.
- Leadership roles in lessons and work on fair play and etiquette in PE.
- Whole school community days.
How we promote broad general knowledge of public institutions and services in England
- Y9 government and Democracy day – lessons on House of Commons, democratic processes. Y9 visit to Houses of Parliament
- Y9 enterprise day – linked to Bolsover District Council regeneration initiatives (for example designing an Enterprise centre for Shirebrook)
- Promotion of support services e.g. NHS, voluntary organisations, helplines, etc. through all health related super learning days – wide range of visiting speakers
- Work experience, College and University visits
- Y7 and Y8 Careers days – look at range of organisations and occupations that make up a community.
- STREET work in Year 7 a Citizenship and Community within Britain.
- Trip to Derby Open Centre.
How students acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures
- STREET – significant amount of work on other cultures, including trip to London, trip to Derby Open Centre
- Discussion of values relating to relationships/politics/work – help students to develop respect for others opinions and backgrounds.
- Languages week to promote languages.
- Numerous trips e.g. Paris, Belgium, Poland (Holocaust Trip), London etc.