November 24, 2010 in by admin
Welcome to Media Studies
From our inception in 2006 our Media Department has evolved and grown into a dynamic team with a passion for all things marketing and media. On choosing Media as an option students are guaranteed to be inspired by the content of the syllabus together with the exciting and innovative delivery of the subject. This is reflected in the success rate of students who undertake the subject as an option with current pass rates of grade A* to C in excess of 79% improving year on year.
Our modern Media Suite offers students the opportunity to utilise all the latest technology, benefitting from thirty modern laptops equip with wireless internet access, Multimedia software packages and state of the art digital cameras and camcorders all aimed at providing our students with an inspirational environment in order to encourage them to achieve their potential.
Meet the department
Course(s) over view
The programme of study includes Advertising and the Media, Music Promotion and the final element for the practical production involves students creating film trailers or a short film. Consequently, there are three components of coursework which makes up 60% of the GCSE, the remainder 40% comprises of the controlled assessment which is a seen exam that is pre-released 2-3 weeks prior to the timed controlled assessment of 1 hour 30 minutes. During the time when students receive the exam they are to work independently without direct teacher input consequently, this maximises student’s potential of creating work that connotes a sense of independent thought and uniqueness.
How will I be assessed?
40% seen examination
Technology and the internet is now the focal point for the modern world we now live and do business in and Media and Marketing is an integral part of this industry. By choosing Media students will gain an exceptional base knowledge of the subject in order to provide them with a sound opportunity to progress into further education and the vast marketing and media industry.
Progression to further education:
AS -A level or equivalents in Media studies
AS –A level or equivalents in Photography
As – A level or equivalents Journalism
AS – A level or equivalents English
AS –A level or equivalents in film studies
Other related careers:
Marketing and Advertisement
Weekly drop in and booster sessions
Opportunity to enter film competitions
Opportunities to create media based materials for the school
Prospect of working with outside agencies
By choosing Media you will develop skills in:
ICT and use of multimedia software packages
Designing and producing
A big well done to Jake Toon and Lori Johnson for presenting their work and expertise in Media to the board of Governors!
Media Controlled assessment examination Monday 13th June 2011