WHAT IS A BTEC?
BTECs are high quality, career-focused qualifications grounded in the real world of work.
BTEC courses focus on skills-based learning and are designed around themed units. Rather than testing everything together at the end, BTECs are tested throughout the course using assessments based on real-life scenarios. This practical approach allows BTEC learners to develop and apply the knowledge and skills that employers and universities are looking for.
And that means there are plenty of opportunities to learn, improve and succeed.
A BTEC is so much more than just a qualification – former BTEC-qualified students often say how they continue to apply what they learned on their BTEC course when they progressed on to further study, started a job, and as they advance throughout their career.
BTEC WORKS ALONGSIDE GCSES
When choosing your subjects for Years 10 and 11, it’s good to keep your options open. Studying BTECs alongside your GCSEs opens up new subject areas, and starts building the skills you need after you leave school.
You can study BTEC Tech Awards or Firsts alongside your GCSEs to explore different subject areas that really interest you. You will also learn by doing, equipping yourself with skills that you will use throughout your future education and career. Completing your level 2 BTEC will open options to study at level 3 with BTEC Nationals, A levels and Apprenticeships.
Alongside your GCSEs you could study:
BTEC Tech Awards (Level 2):
- Give you a glimpse into a professional sector whilst teaching you transferable skills for life.
- Offer a broader view of the sector.
- Have a mixture of practical assignments and internal assessments, with an external assessment worth 40% of your grade.
BTEC Firsts (Level 2):
- Give you a practical learning style that provides you with the opportunity to develop skills to draw upon throughout your career.
- Work through themed units exploring an industry sector.
- Have a mixture of practical assignments and internal assessments, with an external assessment worth 25% of your grade.