At Shirebrook Academy it is recognised that global issues are an increasingly important part of our students’ lives:
In a world of interdependent economies, widening access to other cultures through travel and the internet it is important that students understand the context in which they live and prepare for adult life.
Aims of the international dimension:
- To provide students with an informed awareness of a range of different cultures and countries
- To promote understanding of the diverse nature of local and national communities in the UK, and encourage students to respect and celebrate this diversity.
- To enhance the curriculum through active links with students and staff in schools in other parts of the UK and the world.
- To encourage students to participate as active citizens both in school and in their lives outside and beyond school.
Examples of international links:
- A team of 24 young people have so far applied and attended a team selection day and undertook a series of challenges, in order to earn their conditional offer place on this experience of a lifetime. All participants are currently aged between 13-14 years and are representing Frederick Gent School, Shirebrook Academy, Stubbin Wood Special Educational Needs School and Tibshelf Community School. This is an initiative developed and supported by the Bolsover Partnership. The families of the participants raise the funds through community action, delivered from July 2018 to September 2019, to undertake the expedition in October 2019! The team spend their ten days in South Africa under canvas (no hotels in sight) and travel (mostly on foot) to a variety of locations to undertake their international citizenship programme
- School Exchange programme – for the first time this year we are taking part in an exchange programme with students from a school in Toulon, France. We are really excited about this opportunity to host students from our partner school, and for our students to gain first hand experience of French culture and family life.
- Curriculum trips overseas – History Trip to Krakow, Languages trips to Barcelona
International Schools Award
In recognition of the wide range of international activities developed in recent years, we have been awarded a full International Schools Award, from the British Council.