Core PE – Year 10 and 11
Core PE is a legal requirement of all students. Every student in Key Stage 4 (years 10 and 11) is entitled to two hours of physical education per week. At Shirebrook Academy all students receive two lessons of timetable physical education per week. Students get the opportunity to select activity areas based both within the Academy and within the local community. The emphasis on physical education within Core Year 10 and 11 lessons is about providing students with the knowledge and enthusiasm to continue in life long participation when they leave the Academy.
During the Core PE time students follow an option programme where they can select activities from different option blocks throughout the year, all of which mirror the National Curriculum Strands. The emphasis of the options programme at key stage 4 is –
- To provide outlets for students to lifelong participation in sport and promote a healthy lifestyle
- To provide an options programme that engages students and maintain high participation levels
- To provide opportunities for students to participate in community facilities in a wide range of activities
- To provide opportunities for students be assessed as part of their GCSE and BTEC courses
- To provide opportunities for students to adopt different roles in sport such as a choreographer, coach or official.
- To provide opportunities for students to engage with the staff and other adults as young adults in a responsible manner
Accredited Courses in PE
In the physical education department students could complete the following academic courses –
- GCSE Physical Education (AQA) 2016 Specification
- BTEC Level 2 Sport (Edexcel)
- BTEC Level 2 Technical award – Health & Social Care (Edexcel)
- BTEC Level 2 Performing Arts – Dance (Edexel)
All students opting for an examination qualification in KS4 will receive three additional fifty minute lessons for each course which may take the form of either a theory based lesson in a classroom or a practical lesson.